The recipe is for 10, and it is really for 10.
Here is the recipe with all my comments.
- 1.5kg cup mushrooms, sliced- ADVISE: mushrooms absorve a lot of water when washing, and you will need to dry this water while cooking so better squeeze them with your hands
- 100g butter, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large brown onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Beef stock (PARVE) (Could be chicken)
- 2/3 cup thickened cream -Check out for Gelatine in the ingredients, Gelatine is "meat"
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or red vinegar
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 50g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2/3 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 12 sheets filo pastry - THAWED
- olive oil cooking spray or Regular Olive oil and a brush
Have all the ingredients separated in bowls before you start.
- start melting butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once is Melted, add the garlic and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until feels soft. Add the mushrooms. Unless you have a very huge saucepan, you will need to put them in batches. Cook, stirring often, for 10 to 15 minutes or until juice evaporates. or at least most of it. You can also take a little bit of the juice with a cup.
- Add the stock and cook for 2 minutes. then add the cream and vinegar. Simmer for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens. If it doesnt, you can add a little bit of flour to make it thicker.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl. Add parsley, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Place 1 sheet pastry on a workbench. be sure is thawed. Spray with oil. Top with another pastry sheet and spray with oil. Repeat using 4 more pastry sheets. Spoon half the mushroom mixture along 1 long edge of pastry. Fold ends in and roll up tightly to enclose filling. Place strudel on a flat, lined baking tray. Repeat with remaining pastry, oil and mushroom filling to make a second strudel. be sure you have a long enough baking device and it fits your oven. alternatevily you can cut the pastry in half.
- Spray strudel tops with oil and you can add some sesame or poppy seeds. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Let me know how it goes.